Homemade peppermint hot cocoa mix is a easy, fun, and festive holiday gift! The hot cocoa mix makes a rich, extra chocolatey hot cocoa with the perfect cozy hint of peppermint. It’s also gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar free, and plant-based.Jump to Recipe
A Cozy Cup of Hot Cocoa
Is there anything better than a cozy cup of hot cocoa on a cold winter’s day?! Well, yes. Yes there is! When that hot cocoa is super delicious but also packed full of wholesome, nutrient rich ingredients.
I am so excited to bring you this homemade hot cocoa mix. It’s a dry mix that you add to chocolate to allow for instant hot cocoa whenever the craving calls.
It’s also an easy, DIY, gift that your friends and family will love and enjoy! Add the mix to a mason jar with dark chocolate chips and peppermint bits for a cute and festive homemade treat!
Ingredients in this peppermint hot cocoa mix
- Milk powder, helps make it rich and frothy when you add the mix to the water. I used a plant-based oat milk powder with zero added sugar. You can use any type of milk powder you like.
- Dutch process cocoa powder, provides that chocolatey goodness any good hot cocoa needs. I used dutch process cocoa powder as it has a rich chocolate flavor plus smoother, less acidic taste.
- Whole Earth Sweetener Stevia and Monk Fruit Blend, this zero calorie plant based sweetener is a game changer! Adds the perfect amount of sweetness to this hot cocoa without any unwanted sugar. So this hot cocoa is actually healthy and something you can feel good about gifting!
- Dark Chocolate Chips, provides more rich chocolate flavor for a delicious cup of hot cocoa. I used a stevia sweetened chocolate chip to keep this sugar-free.
- Peppermint bits, basically crushed peppermint candies. It adds a little sweetness and a hint of extra peppermint flavor. It also makes the gift look pretty and festive. You can omit the crushed candy canes if you are looking to truly make this sugar free or get a sugar free kind.
- Vanilla + peppermint extract, both are added when making a glass of hot cocoa with the mix. The vanilla adds pure extra sweetness and that rich, delicious taste you can only get from vanilla. The peppermint extract adds a burst of peppermint flavor that compliments the rich chocolate flavor.
How to Make peppermint hot cocoa mix
The Peppermint Hot Cocoa Mix to Gift
To make this as a gift, you will need two medium sized jars (I used mason jars), some pretty ribbon, a recipe card, and a gift tag.
First, mix together the milk powder, dutch cocoa powder, and Whole Earth Sweetener stevia and monk fruit blend. Divide the mixture between the 2 jars.
Next, top each just with a layer of dark chocolate chips and a layer of crushed peppermint. Seal jar with lids.
Finally, tie ribbon around the middle of the jar to make it fun and festive. I also tied a ribbon with a jar on top attached with a gift tag labeled “hot cocoa mix” and the recipe card detailing how to make a glass of hot cocoa.
A glass of Peppermint Hot Cocoa
To make a glass of the peppermint hot cocoa, first, mix the content of the jar all together so the crushed peppermint candies and chocolate chips are evenly distributed throughout the mix.
Next, warm 1 cup of water in a mug. Add two heaping tablespoons of the hot cocoa mix along with a 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract and 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla. Stir until well-combined and frothy. Top with dairy whipped cream and more peppermint bits, if desired.
Other cozy winter treats
- Whipped Goat Cheese with Cranberry Jalapeño Jam + Cranberry Orange Gin Fizz
- Vegan Chai Eggnog Cheesecake Bars
- Apple Cider Old Fashioned
This homemade peppermint hot cocoa mix is the perfect cozy and sweet gift to give this Holiday season!
If you make these perfect pairing, please leave a comment below. I absolutely love to hear from you guys and your thoughts on my recipes. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or pin it on pinterest, cuz sharing is caring!
Healthy Homemade Peppermint Hot Cocoa Mix
Homemade peppermint hot cocoa mix is a easy, fun, and festive holiday gift! The hot cocoa mix makes a rich, extra chocolatey hot cocoa with the perfect cozy hint of peppermint. It’s also gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar free, and plant-based.
- 1 ½ cups plant-based milk powder I used an unsweetened oat milk powder
- 1 cup good quality Dutch cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup Whole Earth Sweetener Stevia and Monk Fruit Blend
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips I used a stevia sweetened kind, like Lily’s
- 8 tablespoons crushed candy canes optional
For one glass of hot cocoa,
- 1 cup water 8 oz
- 2 heaping tablespoons of mix
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- diary-free whipped cream for serving
In a large bowl, mix together the milk powder, cocoa powder, and sweetener. Divide the mix between two mason jars. Top with chocolate chips and crushed candy canes. Mix all together when ready for use.
To make hot cocoa, heat 1 cup of hot water. Add two heaping tablespoons of hot cocoa mix + ¼ teaspoon of peppermint extract and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir thoroughly. Top with whipped cream and crushed candy canes. Enjoy!