This lightened buffalo chicken dip is perfect for game day! It’s made with shredded chicken, whipped cream cheese, greek yogurt, buffalo sauce, and tons of cheese for a creamy, spicy, cheesy dip everyone will love!Jump to Recipe
The Perfect Party Food
The super bowl is in two weeks, so it’s time to start thinking about what food to serve! A must have party food, for me, is buffalo chicken dip. It’s tangy, saucy, a little spicy, and super cheesy! What’s not to love!
This dip combines creamy whipped cream cheese, greek yogurt, and tangy buffalo sauce with a touch of salt and garlic powder. Pulled chicken is then tossed in this creamy, spicy sauce and added to a baking dish. The chicken mixture is topped with tons of sharp cheddar cheese then baked to golden brown perfection. Finally, it’s topped with a little green onion for color and freshness.
I also love this dip because it’s super easy to make. It takes about 5 minutes to whip up and another 15-20 to bake (so under 30 min to have a crowd-pleasing appetizer!)
Ingredients in this lightened buffalo chicken dip
Here’s what you’ll need to make this dip:
- shredded chicken, I used 1 rotisserie chicken, shredding just the white meat. You’ll need about 2 1/2 cups.
- whipped cream cheese, I like to use the whipped because it’s light and fluffy and makes for a lighter dip.
- greek yogurt, keeps the dip creamy but also adds protein and healthy fats!
- buffalo sauce, obviously a must for a good buffalo chicken dip. I used Frank’s Red Hot.
- seasoning, a little garlic powder and salt amp up the flavor in this dip.
- greek yogurt ranch, ranch + buffalo go perfectly together. The cool, creamy ranch cools down the spicy tangy buffalo. I used a greek yogurt kind to keep this dip light!
- shredded sharp cheddar, added to the top and baked so it’s ooey and gooey.
- tortilla chips, to dip and add crunch!
How to make this lightened buffalo chicken dip
I love this dip because not only it is super tasty, it’s also incredibly easy to make. Here’s what you do:
- Preheat the oven and prepare the baking dish; Turn on your oven to 375 and lightly grease a small baking dish.
- Mix up the filling; Combine the whipped cream cheese, greek yogurt, buffalo sauce and seasonings until all combined. Toss in the chicken so it’s covered in the sauce.
- Pour into a baking dish; Evenly spread the chicken mixture on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Drizzle on some ranch; pour on ranch and spread it evenly on top of the chicken layer.
- Top with cheese; add a ton of sharp cheddar cheese on top!
- Bake; until golden brown and the cheese is fulled melted, about 15-20 min.
- Enjoy! It’s best with crunchy tortilla chips!
How is this dip lightened?
I decided to take this fan fav dip and give it a Danilicious twist! I lightened it up with just a few simple swaps.
- I used whipped cream cheese; it’s whipped to make it airy and also has less fat and calories.
- added in some greek yogurt; it’s packed with protein and healthy fats but still creates a creamy, delicious dip!
- used a shredded rotisserie chicken; it’s all natural and baked that day, so it’s fresh! No canned kind in this version!
- topped with greek yogurt ranch; the ranch is lighten with greek yogurt but still tastes amazing! You can find it at almost any grocery store in the produce section (refrigerated).
- served with healthier tortilla chips; I used a gluten-free kind made with beans that’s packed with fiber and protein, called Beanitos!
Other game day apps
- Pesto Caprese Puff Pastries
- Roast Beef, Herb Cream Cheese, & Fig Jam Crostini
- Baked Brie with Fig Jam and Bacon
This lightened buffalo chicken dip is the perfect party dip to please your guests! No-one will ever no it’s secretly lightened up!
If you make his lightened buffalo chicken dip, please leave a comment below. I absolutely love to hear from you guys and your thoughts on my recipes. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or pin it on pinterest, cuz sharing is caring!
Lightened Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup whipped cream cheese
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce I used Frank’s Red Hot
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
- 2 1/2 cups shredded chicken I used the white mean from 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt ranch
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon green onion for garnish, optional
- Serve with tortilla chips I used Beanitos
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a small baking dish ( I used an 8×9).
In a medium bowl, combine the greek yogurt, whipped cream cheese, buffalo sauce, salt and garlic powder until smooth. Toss in shredded chicken until fully coated in the sauce.
Add the chicken mixture to the baking dish and spread so it covers the entire bottom. Top with ranch and spread it over the chicken mixture. Finally, top with cheese.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted.
Top with green onion.
Serve with tortillas chips. Enjoy!