NEW and perfect for the holidays, Peppermint Mocha Brownies. These festive brownies are insanely fudgy and full of chocolate and peppermint flavor, only require one bowl, and made gluten free and refined sugar free (so a delicious guilt free holiday treat).Jump to Recipe
The Best Lighter Peppermint Mocha Brownies
One of my favorite holiday flavor combos is chocolate and peppermint. I love how the bright peppermint flavor pairs so well with the rich chocolate to make a balanced and delicious treat. I am also always team brownie (for any holiday or celebration). They’re so easy and an irresistible treat!
So, I set out to make a lighter (slightly better for you version) that still had the fudgy rich texture needed for any good brownies, IMO, perfect chocolate flavor, with just the right amount of peppermint. Oh am I about to deliver. These peppermint mocha brownies are gluten, free, refined sugar free, made in only one bowl, and insanely delicious.
Here’s what you’ll need to make these brownies:
- dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate: melted with the butter, it gives the brownies that rich, fudgy texture and bold chocolate taste. I love to use Hu gems (to keep it refined sugar free) or ghirardell
- butter: I’ve tested this recipe so many times and found butter provides the best fudgy texture, so its’ my fat of choice for these brownies. I use a high quality, salted grass fed kind (but a regular kind works too!)
- coconut sugar or allulose baking blend: to keep these brownies on the lighter side, I use refined sugar free coconut sugar or my fav plant-based zero calorie sweetener, Whole Earth Allulose Baking blend. Both provide the perfect amount of sweetness!
- eggs: 2 eggs and one egg yolk provide a nice, fudgy brownie! Make sure they are at room temp. so they best incorporate into the batter.
- vanilla + peppermint extract: provides natural sweetness and that peppermint kick that gives these brownies those peppermint vibes.
- espresso powder: just a touch gives us our mocha flavor. If you do not have this, you can omit and will still have a rich, chocolate-forward brownies.
- almond flour: provides a nice texture and keeps these gluten-free.
- cocoa powder: for extra chocolate flavor! I like my brownies with a super chocolate flavor, and these definitely deliver on that!
- dark chocolate peppermint bark: reinforces that beautiful chocolate peppermint flavor and adds extra texture and gooey-ness!
How to make peppermint mocha brownies
These brownies are so easy and come together in just a few steps!
- Melt together chocolate chips and butter: in a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and butter in increments of 30 seconds until fully melted. This usually takes 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in sugar: add coconut sugar to melted butter chocolate mix and whisk until sugar is dissolved
- Beat in eggs and extracts: add eggs and yolk, one at a time, gently until incorporated into the batter. Stir in vanilla and peppermint extract.
- Add the dry ingredients: Gently fold in almond flour and cocoa powder.
- Fold in chocolate chips: last, fold in some extra chocolate chips for an extra gooey chocolate bite!
- Pour into pan and top with bark: pour the batter into a prepared 8×8 baking dish and top with chopped up peppermint bark.
- Bake! for 22-25 minutes (less if you like a super fudgy brownie!). Allow to cool completely and cut into bars and enjoy!
Why you will love these brownies
- Easy: made in one bowl and can be whipped up in just under an hour.
- Delicious: these brownies taste like the real deal; fudgy, full of chocolate flavor, and perfectly sweet.
- Wholesome Ingredients: these brownies are lightened up with wholesome ingredients, like coconut sugar, dark chocolate, and almond flour. Yum!
- Freezer Friendly; I love to make a batch or two of these and store extras in the freezer. I just cut them and wrap them individually and pull one out when I am craving a chocolate treat (just pop in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute until warm and gooey again!).
These festive peppermint mocha brownies are insanely fudgy and full of chocolate and peppermint flavor, only require one bowl, and made gluten free and refined sugar free (so a delicious guilt free holiday treat).
If you make this peppermint mocha brownies, please leave a comment below. I absolutely love to hear from you guys and your thoughts on my recipes. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or pin it on pinterest, because sharing is caring!
Peppermint Mocha Brownies
These peppermint mocha brownies are fudgy, full of chocolate & peppermint flavor, require one bowl, and gluten-free and refined sugar free.
- ½ cup 1 stick salted butter, use high quality grassfed butter, cut into chunks
- ½ cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips plus ¼ cup for folding in batter
- 1 cup coconut sugar or Whole Earth Granulated Allulose Baking Blend
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. peppermint extract
- 2/3 cup fine almond flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder optional
- Pinch sea salt
- 6 dark chocolate bark candies chopped
Preheat oven to 350. Line and grease an 8×8 pan.
In a large bowl, add the butter and ½ cup chocolate chips. Microwave until melted, about 1 minute. Stir until smooth.
Whisk in sugar until dissolved.
Add in eggs, one at a time, and gently mix into batter. Stir in vanilla and peppermint extract.
Gently fold in cocoa powder, almond flour, and pinch salt until everything is incorporated. Gently fold in ¼ cup chocolate chips. Do not over-mix.
Pour into greased pan. Top with half the chopped peppermint bark candy.
Bake at 350 degrees for 22-25 minutes. Top with other half of chopped bark. Let cool completely. Cut into 9 or 16 squares. Enjoy!
Bake closer to 22 minutes for gooier brownies.