This healthy banana cake will be your new favorite! The cake is refined sugar free and made with whole wheat flour and it’s topped with a light maple cream cheese frosting. Also, this cake comes together in one bowl and can be made in under an hour!Jump to Recipe
This Healthy Banana Cake – a Dream come true!
Grayson and I are obsessed with this cake! Why do we love this cake so much?!
- It’s made with wholesome, better for you ingredients, like coconut sugar, whole wheat pastry flour, coconut oil, pure maple syrup, and bananas.
- You can make this cake in one bowl and under 30 minutes.
- It tastes amazing; the cake is moist and rich and the frosting creamy and light.
- You can eat this for breakfast or an after dinner snack!
Yep, we are making dreams come true today with this cake!
Ingredients in this cake
- Bananas, the star ingredient in the cake (it’s a banana cake after all!). Make sure your bananas are browning and soft as they add more flavor and moisture to the cake than an unripe banana.
- eggs, help bind the cake and keep it moist
- whole wheat pastry flour, my fav flour to use for baking; it’s made from a softer whole wheat so contains less protein and produces a fluffier, lighter baked good.
- coconut sugar + maple syrup, these two unrefined sugars sweeten the cake and give it a rich, molasses like depth of flavor.
- coconut oil, I use this instead of butter or regular oil; it does not inpart any coconut flavor but still leads to a super moist cake.
- low-fat buttermilk, also helps keeps the cake nice and moist and adds a little hang that pairs well with the cream cheese frosting and cuts through the richness
- vanilla, for the pure, rich sweetness.
- cinnamon, cinnamon and banana work so well together; the cinnamon adds a warm, touch of flavor that makes the cake pop.
- for the frosting, light cream cheese, maple syrup, vanilla, and powdered sugar, together creates a light, perfectly sweet, and delicious frosting that works perfectly on this banana cake. You can also use a allulose powdered sugar or coconut powdered sugar to keep the cake totally refined sugar free.
How to make this healthy banana cake
For the cake, mash the bananas in a large bowl. And eggs, coconut sugar, and maple syrup and whisk until well-combined and sugar dissolves. Whisk in remaining wet ingredients. Add dry ingredients to the bowl (I add them on top and mix then slightly together before whisking with wet). Combine the dry with the wet. Pour into lined and greased 8×8 pan. Bake for 25-27 min at 350 or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
For frosting, add the room temperature cream cheese and butter to a stand mixer and beat until pale and fluffy, 2-4 minutes. Add in powdered sugar in two batches and slowly mix to combine. Add in maple syrup and vanilla bean paste and whisk on high until fluffy. Frost cake with desired amount of frosting.
Other healthy treats
This healthy banana cake with maple cream cheese frosting is a dream come true. A moist, flavorful banana snack cake topped with a creamy, light maple cream cheese frosting. Plus, comes together in about 30 minutes! Woo!
If you make this healthy banana cake with maple cream cheese frosting please leave a comment below. I absolutely love to hear from you guys and your thoughts on my recipes. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or pin it on pinterest, cuz sharing is caring!
Banana cake with maple cream cheese frosting
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsps. maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 oz light cream cheese Room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter half a stick, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
Grease an 8×8 pan and line with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees,
For the cake, mash the bananas in a large bowl. And eggs, coconut sugar, and maple syrup and whisk well until well combined and the sugar is dissolved. Whisk in remaining wet ingredients. Add dry ingredients to the bowl (I add them on top and mix then slightly together before whisking with wet). Combine the dry with the wet. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake for 25-27 min or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
For frosting, add the cream cheese and butter to a stand mixer and beat until pale and fluffy, 2-4 minutes. Add in powdered sugar in two batches and mix to combine. Add in maple syrup and vanilla bean paste and whisk on high until fluffy.
Frost cake with desired amount of frosting. There may be some extra.
Top with sprinkles. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply