These chocolate glazed banana bread donuts are a delicious, tender, and perfectly spiced banana baked donut coated in a semi-sweet chocolate glaze and topped with a peanut butter drizzle and crushed peanuts.
Chocolate Glazed Banana Bread Donuts
These chocolate glazed banana bread donuts combine all of my favorite things into one delicious breakfast treat.
The donuts taste just like a tender, moist piece of banana bread. I also spiced the donuts with a little nutmeg and cinnamon, which comes through perfectly with each bite and compliments the banana flavor.
Then, the donuts are glazed in a semi-sweet chocolate glaze. The glaze hardens slightly when it sets, giving you a little texture between the soft donut and the chocolate coating. Plus, the robust chocolate pairs well with the sweet banana flavor.
Finally, I drizzled peanut butter over the donuts and garnished with peanuts for a nutty flavor and a little crunch.
The result is magic. It reminds me of the chocolate coated store-bought donuts I grew up on as a kid, but a million times fresher and better. These donuts did not last long in my house. They are just so additive. I may have even eaten 3 in one sitting 😳😍 You definitely want to make these donuts!
How to Make These Chocolate Glazed Banana Bread Donuts
The donut batter is made in just one bowl:
- Whisk together the egg, maple syrup, and coconut sugar in a large bowl.
- Stir in the greek yogurt, milk, vanilla, and melted coconut oil. Mix well.
- Fold in the mashed banana.
- Shift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and gently mix until the wet and dry ingredients are well-incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a plastic bag or piping bag. Once the bag is filled, cut off one of the corners and pipe the batter into the a greased donut pan.
- Bake for 9 minutes.
For the chocolate glaze:
- In a microwave safe bowl, place the semi-sweet chocolate chips and coconut oil and microwave, on 50% power, in 45 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until the chocolate chips and oil are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Dunk the donuts into the chocolate mixture, top side up, so there is a generous amount of chocolate on the top of the donut. Flip back over and place, glaze side up, on a parchment lined baking sheet.
How to garnish these Chocolate Glazed Banana Bread Donuts
I garnished these donuts with a natural peanut butter glaze and chopped peanuts.
Making the glaze is simple. I just took regular natural peanut butter and microwaved it for about 3 seconds to make it pourable. I transferred the melted, runny peanut butter to a piping bag (a regular sandwich bag with the corner cut off works too) and drizzled a generous amount of peanut butter over each donut.
Finally, I sprinkled crushed peanuts over each donut.
Are these donuts healthy?
Yes! These donuts are made without any refined sugar and with wholesome ingredients like whole wheat and oat flours, Greek yogurt, bananas, natural peanut butter, and coconut oil.
Also, I used Lily’s Sweets stevia sweetened and gluten-free semi-sweet chocolate chips. It’s one of my favorite brands for chocolate chips because they use only wholesome, certified organic ingredients.
Finally, I baked the donuts instead of frying them.
The result is a healthy donut that still tastes indulgent and delicious!
other peanut butter and chocolate treats
- Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chips Waffles
- Healthy Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cups
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Puffed Millet Bars
These donuts are the perfect treat to make to satisfy your sweet tooth and use up any overripe bananas hanging out on your counter. They take less than 20 minutes to make and yield an addictive and wholesome treat!
If you make these donuts, please leave a comment below. I absolutely love to hear from you guys and your thoughts on my recipes. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or pin it on pinterest, cuz sharing is caring!
Chocolate Glazed Banana Bread Baked Donuts
Banana Bread Donuts
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almond milk room temperature
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt room temperature
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted and cooled slightly
- 1 heaping tsp. vanilla
- heaping 1/2 cup overripe mashed bananas about 2 small bananas
Chocolate Glaze and Peanut Butter Drizzle
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons Peanut butter
- 1/3 cup crushes peanuts
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 cavity donut pan.
Whisk together the egg, maple syrup, and coconut sugar in a large bowl until the sugar is dissolved.
Stir in the greek yogurt, milk, vanilla, and melted coconut oil. Mix well.
Fold in the mashed banana.
Shift the dry ingredients into a the wet ingredients and gently mix until the wet and dry ingredients are well-incorporated.
Pour the batter into a plastic bag or piping bag. Once the bag is filled, cut off one of the corners and pipe the batter into the donut cavities.
Bake for 9 minutes.
Let cool slightly, then remove the donuts from the donut pan. Let the donuts cool completely.
For the chocolate glaze, in a microwave safe bowl, place the chocolate chips and coconut oil and microwave, on 50% power, in 45 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until the chocolate chips and oil are melted and the mixture is smooth.
In a separate microwave safe bowl, heat the peanut butter for 30-45 seconds or until melted (and runny enough to drizzle over donuts). Pour mixture into a plastic/piping bag.
To glaze the donut, dunk the donuts into the chocolate mixture, top side up, so there is a generous amount of chocolate on the top of the donut. Drizzle the melted peanut butter on top of the chocolate glaze. Top with crushed peanuts. Repeat for each donut.
Eat right away or allow the chocolate to harden, about 1 hour.
Serve and enjoy!