This easy & healthy taco salad will be on your dinner rotation. A bowl of greens filled with seasoned ground beef, roasted veggies, cheddar cheese, avocado, pickled red onions, & crunchy tortilla chips. It’s finished with a bright, herbaceous cilantro lime dressing. It’s delicious, easy, and packed with nutritious ingredients!
A bright, fun dinner idea
Bringing two loves together: tacos + salad. It creates this bright, colorful, and delicious bowl of goodness.
I actually prefer a good taco salad to a traditional taco. Make no mistake, tacos are delish, but sometimes I find it hard to get enough filling and extras into the shell. With a taco salad, you can fill the bowl high with all the goodies! And there’s tons of yummy things in this bowl!
You’ll find a bed of romaine lettuce, filled with roasted sweet potatoes and broccoli, perfectly seasoned lean ground beef, shard cheddar cheese, crunchy tortilla chips, fresh cilantro, and bight pickled red onions.
Then, there’s the sauce. A vibrant and wildly delicious cilantro lime greek yogurt dressing. Made with just a few, simple ingredients, but bursting with big flavor! It’s creamy, a little spicy, and perfectly acidic. It’s addictive!
Ingredients in this Healthy Taco Salad
Here’s what you’ll need to make this taco salad:
- romaine lettuce, it’s the base of the taco salad. I prefer a heartier green like romaine as it can stand up to the other hearty ingredients.
- seasoned ground beef, a must in a traditional taco. I used my healthy homemade taco seasoning for a flavorful meat mixture (but you can use your fav store bought too, I love this one!)
- Roasted veggies, I love adding roasted veggies to my taco salad for more flavor, texture, and hearty goodness. I had sweet potatoes and broccoli on hand so that’s what went in this bowl. But you could also roast peppers, onions, or other seasonal veggies you love!
- avocado, I mean, it’s just a must for any good taco or taco salad, in my humble opinion 🙂
- tortilla chips, adds that nice crunch that give this salad taco vibes! My fav kind to add is this one (it’s a healthier tortilla chip made from beans!)
- cheddar cheese, cheesy goodness helps complete this salad!
- pickled red onion, and finally some bright and tangy pickled red onion to round out the reach flavors!
- garnishes, top with some pickled jalapeño for spice, lime juice for acidity, and fresh cilantro for an herbaceous kick to round out this bowl!
How to make this easy & healthy taco salad
- Cook the ground beef, cook a pound of lean grass fed ground beef till cooked through. Drain most of the fat. Add seasonings, a splash of Worcestershire sauce, and a 1/4 cup of water and mix until combined.
- Roast the veggies, On a large sheet pan, add broccoli florets and sweet potato rounds. Drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper and roast for about 18-22 minutes, or until golden brown, flipping halfway through.
- Add all to the bowl, in individual bowls (it will make 4-6 bowls), add some romaine lettuce, a scoop of ground beef, an equal amount of veggies, shredded cheese, slices of avocado, pickled red onions, and tortilla chips.
- Sauce it up, top with cilantro lime dressing, instructions below!
- Garnish, with cilantro, pickled jalapeño, and lime juice, if desired.
The cilantro lime dressing
The taco salad is finished with this bright, creamy, herbaceous, slightly spicy sauce. The sauce makes this salad. It’s a beautiful combination of greek yogurt, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, agave, and pickled jalapeño sauce. So simply but so good!
Add all of the ingredients to a high powdered blender or small food processor and blend until very smooth. If not blending well, stir and add a touch of water.
This sauce is magic! You’ll want to put it on everything!
Why you’ll love this taco salad?
- Packed with nutritious ingredients, like roasted veggies, lean grass fed ground beef, avocado, and romaine lettuce.
- Perfect for meal prep, the individual components can be stored in airtight containers in the fridge for easy, healthy meals all week long!
- So flavorful and easy!
- This taco salad is easily customizable, use whatever veggies you have on hand. Switch out the ground beef for ground turkey, chicken, or even plant-based meat. Add a grain, like brown rice or quinoa, or beans, for extra substance and protein. The possibilities are endless!
Other easy, healthy dinner ideas
This easy and healthy taco salad needs to go in your weekly dinner rotation – it’s bursting with flavor, takes under 30 minutes to makes, and works great for meal prep!
If you make this easy and healthy taco salad please leave a comment below. I absolutely love to hear from you guys and your thoughts on my recipes. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or pin it on pinterest, cuz sharing is caring!
Easy & Healthy Taco Salad
- 1 pound lean grass fed beef
- 1-3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 packet taco seasoning I use Siete
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 head broccoli broken into florets
- 1 large sweet potatoes cut into round
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head romaine chopped
- 1 large avocado sliced
- 1 cup shard cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup pickled red onion
- Tortilla chips I used Beanitos or Siete brands
- Cilantro for garnish
- Lime wedges for garnish
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 teaspoon pickled jalapeño juice
- 1/2 teaspoon agave
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper
- Water as needed
For the sauce, add all of the ingredients to a high powdered blender or small food processor and blend until very smooth. If not blending well, stir and add a touch of water.
In a large skillet, heat a tablespoon of olive oil. Cook the ground beef until cooked through. Drain most of the fat. Add seasonings packet, Worcestershire sauce, and water and mix until combined.
Meanwhile, on a large sheet pan, add broccoli florets and sweet potato rounds. Drizzle with olive oil until veggies fully covered and a pinch of salt and pepper and roast for about 18-22 minutes, or until golden brown, flipping halfway through.
In, individual bowls (it will make 4-6 bowls), divide the lettuce, ground beef, an equal amount of veggies, shredded cheese, slices of avocado, pickled red onions, and tortilla chips.
Top with cilantro lime dressing, instructions below!
Finally, garnish with cilantro, pickled jalapeño, and lime juice, if desired.