This summer pearl couscous salad features brown butter sautéed corn and onions, crispy bacon, herb goat cheese, juicy cherry tomatoes, crunchy pine nuts, and fresh basil and lemon tossed together with pearl couscous. It’s the perfect simple but elevated dish for those busy back to school days ahead.Jump to Recipe
A simple but elevated dish
This summer pearl couscous salad is bursting with flavors and textures and uses my favorite pasta, pearl couscous. The dish also celebrates my favorite summer produce, fresh, sweet corn. The corn paired with nutty brown butter, onions, herb goat cheese, crunchy bacon, pine nuts, fresh, herbaceous basil, and bright and zingy lemon makes an interesting and irresistible dish.
This salad feels fancy and elevated, with the pearl couscous and brown butter, but it’s actually simple and quick to put together. You’ll have this dish ready in under an hour with minimal clean up. Yes! Best yet, you can make it ahead and have a delicious salad or side dish readily available all week long. It’s the perfect meal to prepare for those busy back to school days ahead!
Ingredients in this dish
Here’s what you’ll need to create this dish:
- pearl couscous, With a delicate texture, unique shape, and distinguished taste, the pearl couscous takes center stage in this delicious dish. I use RiceSelect Pearl Couscous because it’s high quality, low in fat, sodium, and cholesterol, and non-GMO certified.
- brown butter, obsessed might be an understatement for my love of brown butter. Browning butter elevates a humble, simple ingredient, like butter, and makes it a star. It provides a nutty and rich aroma to the dish that makes it truly special and unique.
- corn and red onion, sautéed together with the brown butter, it’s magic!
- cherry tomatoes, add a bright, fresh element to the salad.
- herb goat cheese, provides tanginess and creaminess and melts in with the brown butter to create a luscious sauce.
- bacon, provides umami and crunch Also, bacon and corn are a match made in heaven!
- pine nuts, for a sweet, buttery crunch that provides texture to the dish.
- lemon, fresh that bright citrus moment that helps cut through the richness of the dish.
- basil, my fav summer herb with it’s sweet, earthy, and pungent flavor. Time to use it up before summer’s end.
Tips to make this dish
- Easy to make. You can have this dish ready in about 30 minutes with minimal clean up.
- Meal Prep Friendly. It perfect to make ahead and have on hand all week long.
- Bursting with Flavor. This salad is a total flavor bomb. It provides rich and bright flavors together with great textures making it additively delicious. You’ll keep going back for more!
- Nutritious and delicious. It not only tastes great, but it’s also packed with vegetables and wholesome ingredients. The pearl couscous is also low in fat, sodium, and cholesterol.
More about RiceSelect Pearl Couscous
Pearl Couscous, also traditionally known as Israeli Couscous, is named for its unique shape when formed into small spheres, then toasted in an open-flame oven. This toasting process gives it this wonderful nutty flavor and allows the pasta to absorb liquid without falling apart. Often confused with a plump rice grain, pearl couscous is actually pasta.
I use RiceSelect’s Pearl Couscous because it is made with quality durum wheat, low in fat, sodium, and cholesterol, non-GMO protect certified, certified kosher by Star K, packaged in 100% recyclable, BPA free jar, and contains no preservatives or additives. It’s a high-quality grain I can feel good feeding myself and family to create delicious and nutritious meals, like this summer pearl couscous salad.
To learn more about RiceSelect and to find more recipes, check out HERE.
This summer pearl couscous salad is the perfect end to summer finale. It celebrates two summer favs, corn and cherry tomatoes, paired with pearl couscous and brown butter to make it feel fancy yet still simple and approachable. It’s a must make before summer’s end!
Brown Butter Pearl Couscous Salad
- 1 cup dry pearl couscous
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 ears of corn kernels cut off
- Half a small red onion diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 3-4 slices bacon cooked and chopped
- 6 oz herb goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil see note
- Juice and zest of one small or medium lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook the pearl couscous according to package instructions. Transfer to large bowl and allow to cool slightly.
To a large skillet, add the salted butter. Cook over medium heat until bubbly and browned. Add in the corn and onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add in garlic and cook for another minute or until fragrant. Remove from pan and transfer to the bowl with the pearl couscous.
Add in remaining ingredients and toss till combined. The goat cheese will slightly melt with the residual heat of the pearl couscous and help create a sauce along with the lemon juice, olive oil, and brown butter. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Garnish with extra basil.
I add olive oil a tablespoon at a time until the salad is dressed to my liking. Add more or less to taste.