These buffalo chicken taquitos features a super crispy baked taquito filled with a spicy and flavorful filling and tons of melty cheese. Serve with guacamole and blue cheese (or ranch!) for the perfect appetizer or dinner. Best yet, these are made with all wholesome ingredients and take only 25 minutes to whip up!Jump to Recipe
Bring on the Spice!
I love all things buffalo! When I was young, every-time we went out to eat, I would order buffalo wings. That saucy goodness, with that mild heat, dipped in a cool, creamy sauce. I was obsessed. My passion for all things buffalo continues still! I put that flavor in taquito form and it’s magic!
Why you’ll love this dish…
- Bursting with flavor. These little taquitos pack BIG flavor. The filling is creamy and perfectly spicy and the baked exterior provides a satisfying crunch. Paired with a blue cheese, pickled shallots, and guacamole, it’s quite a delicious meal!
- Quick to whip up. This dish only takes about 25 minutes to prepare.
- Filled with wholesome ingredients. This tasty and nostalgic dish is surprisingly healthy too! I used a gluten-free almond flour tortilla, loaded it with some hidden veggies that provide so much extra flavor, and pair it with homemade quac and greek yogurt for topping.
- Can freeze and eat later. You can make these ahead and freeze once rolled up. When ready to eat, simple pop in the a 425 degree oven cook until golden brown and baked through.
Ingredients in Buffalo Chicken Taquitos
Here’s what you need to make this dish:
- shredded chicken, You’ll need 3 cups of shredded chicken for the base of this meal. I used the white meat from one rotisserie chicken to make this a quick and easy dinner.
- buffalo sauce, gives these that perfect mild heat, rich, tangy flavor, and sauciness. HERE is my fav kind.
- carrots, red onion, and celery, traditionally, buffalo wings are served with celery and carrots. I love this pairing as the veggies provide a nice crunch and cool relief to the spicy, rich buffalo flavors. So, I decided to add these traditional veggies, along with red onion for extra flavor, sautéed slightly to the taquito filling. It adds so much flavor and veggie goodness!
- cheddar cheese, gives these taquitos that ooey gooey cheesy factor.
- whipped cream cheese, adds a sweet, creamy tang to the filling.
- greek yogurt, helps tame the heat of the buffalo sauce and creates a creamy filling.
- topping, I topped these taquitos with a quick homemade guacamole, blue cheese crumbles, greek yogurt, and pickled shallots. I also pair them with a greek yogurt blue cheese or greek yogurt ranch.
How to make Buffalo Chicken Taquitos
These take about 25 minutes to make. So easy. So yummy!
- Preheat the oven. Turn the oven on at 425. The high heat helps create a crunchy, golden brown exterior.
- Sauté the veggies. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the diced red onion, carrots, and celery and cook until softened, 4-6 minutes. Season with garlic salt.
- Make the filling. In a large bowl, add the greek yogurt, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, and garlic salt and stir until well-combined. Add in the shredded chicken, cooked veggies, and cheddar cheese and mix until everything is well-combined.
- Roll um’ up: Add a generous amount of filling to each tortilla and tightly wrap to incase all the filling. Brush each with a little olive oil and sprinkle on some sea salt.
- Bake: For about 14-16 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve: I like to top these with dollops of greek yogurt (or sour cream) and crumbles of blue cheese, plus a side of homemade quac.
How are these healthier?
I did a few things to lighten this dish up:
- baked, not fried: brush olive oil lightly on the outside of the tortillas and bake at a high oven temperature to achieve that golden brown exterior and gooey interior.
- gluten-free tortilla: I used an almond flour tortilla that was super soft and delicious. HERE is another brand I love. You could also use a whole wheat tortilla or low carb tortilla.
- extra veggies: I loaded these with sautéed onions, carrots, and celery. It adds so much extra flavor but are barely detectable in the taquito. This is a great way to sneak in veggies for any picky eaters!
- healthy extras: I served my taquitos with a simple, homemade quac and greek yogurt for extra nutrition, healthy fats, and protein.
other delicious buffalo chicken ideas
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Tenders
- Buffalo Chicken Fried Quinoa
- “Fried” Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos with Avocado Ranch
If you make these buffalo chicken taquitos, please leave a comment below. I absolutely love to hear from you guys and your thoughts on my recipes. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or pin it on pinterest, cuz sharing is caring!
Buffalo Chicken Taquitos
- Half a red onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt divided
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce I used Frank’s Red Hot
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup whipped cream cheese
- 3 cups shredded chicken I use a rotisserie chicken and shred the white meat
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 12 small tortillas I used a gluten-free almond flour kind, whole wheat or flour work too
- dash sea salt for sprinkling on tortilla before baking
- Pickled shallots
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Blue cheese or ranch
- Chopped cilantro
Preheat the oven on to 425. Grease a large baking sheet.
Heat olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the diced red onion, carrots, and celery and cook until softened, 4-6 minutes. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt.
In a large bowl, add the greek yogurt, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, and remaining garlic salt and stir until well-combined. Add in the shredded chicken, cooked veggies, and cheddar cheese and mix until everything is well-combined.
Add a generous amount of filling to each tortilla and tightly wrap to incase all the filling. Brush each with a little olive oil and sprinkle on some sea salt.
Bake the taquitos for about 14-16 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until golden brown and crispy.
Serve with desired toppings. Enjoy!