A fresh, healthy, and delicious spin on Friday pizza night with this pizzeria style Italian chopped salad with pesto & smoked mozzarella flatbread. This vibrant meal is bursting with so much flavor you would never guess it’s good for you too. Best yet, it pairs beautifully with a bold red or crisp white wine.
Italian Chopped Salad + Pesto Smoked Mozzarella Flatbread
My husband and I live for Friday pizza night. Whether we are ordering from our favorite local pizzeria or trying out a new pizza recipe, it makes for a fun Friday night at home.
Just because you are trying to eat healthier in the near year does NOT mean you should forgo this sacred night. My pizzeria style Italian chopped salad with flatbread allows you to still enjoy this night and stick to any healthy eating resolutions.
First, the pizzeria style Italian chopped salad is not your ordinary salad. It’s bursting with flavor, colors, and textures. It takes salad eating to a whole new level. This vibrant salad contains all the favorites of a classic pizzeria chopped salad; romaine lettuce, red onion, black olives, turkey pepperoni, pickled peppers, shaved parmesan, and juicy cherry tomatoes. Then, it’s finished with a bright lemon honey dijon dressing. It’s an explosion of flavor that keeps you coming back for more!
Now, let’s talk about this pesto and smoked mozzarella flatbread. It’s simple yet sophisticated and flavor-packed. It start with a whole wheat piece of lavish flatbread. It’s thin and crisps up perfectly in the oven. Then. it’s topped with an herbaceous pesto and smoked mozzarella. These two simple ingredients pack on big flavor, making this flatbread irresistible!
Here’s the main ingredients you will need for this meal:
- romaine lettuce + spinach, romaine lettuce is the typical lettuce in a chopped salad. It’s hearty with a nice crunch, which holds up to all the toppings. I also add spinach for it’s color and nutrients.
- turkey pepperoni, a good Italian chopped salad typically has a salty cured meat component. I used turkey pepperoni to keep this salad delicious but still light.
- all the classic toppings, I’m talking cherry tomatoes, black olives, pepperoncinis, red onion, and shaved parmesan. Together, these simple ingredients create a flavor-packed, crave worthy salad.
- Fresh parsley, I love adding a fresh herb to a salad. It provides an extra extra pop of fresh flavor that livens up the whole dish.
- lemon honey dijon dressing, this dressing takes the classic Italian dressing to a new level. It’s made with olive oil, fresh lemon juice, dijon mustard, and a touch of honey. Int creates a bright, slightly sweet, and totally tangy dressing.
- a whole wheat lavash flatbread, it’s a large, thin middle eastern bread that crisps up nicely in the oven. HERE is the kind I use and love!
- store bought pesto, this is one of my fav shortcut ingredients. There are tons of good store-bought brands on the market and it packs so much flavor in one jar.
- smoked mozzarella, With a light golden brown color on the outside, and a delicious, milky, slightly-smokey flavor, it adds so much unexpected flavor to this dish that makes it truly special.
how to make this meal
The best part of about this dish is it’s quick and simple to put together. You can have this meal complete in under 30 minutes!
Italian chopped salad
This seriously could not be simpler. Add the chopped lettuce and spinach to a big salad bowl. Then, top with all the fixings.
For the dressing, add all the ingredients to a sealable jar and shake vigrousouly until well-combined.
Pour desired amount of dressing over salad and toss until all the ingredients are well-incorporated.
pesto + smoked mozzarella flatbread
This also takes almost no time to create.
Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
Top with the lavash with pesto and slices of the smoked mozzarella. Bake for 5-7 minutes, or until the lavash is golden brown and crispy and the cheese melted on top. Top with shaved parmesan and crushed red pepper.
Serve with salad and your fav glass of wine. Enjoy!
how is this meal healthier?
First, I used a whole wheat lavash flatbread. The brand I used was only 100 calories and made with whole wheat flour, oar flour, and flaxseed.
The salad also contains nutrient-rich ingredients like veggies, fresh herbs, and spinach.
I also replaced the cured fatty meat for lean turkey pepperoni.
Finally, I made a simple and fresh Lemon Vinaigrette instead of using a store-bought Italian dressing, which can be full of preservatives and sugars. This dressing uses only fresh, real ingredients and a touch of natural honey for sweetness.
other delicious flatbreads + salads
If you make this Italian chopped salad with pesto & smoked mozzarella flatbread, please leave a comment below. I absolutely love to hear from you guys and your thoughts on my recipes. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or pin it on pinterest so I can see your creations!
Italian Chopped Salad + Smoked Mozzarella Flatbread
Pesto + Smoked Mozzarella Flatbread
- 1 whole wheat lavash flatbread
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 4 ounces smoked mozzarella thinly sliced
- Shredded parmesan + red pepper flakes for topping
Chopped Italian Salad
- 1 large head of romaine about 4 cups
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in halves or quarters
- Half a small red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup turkey pepperoni
- 1/3 cup sliced pepperchinis
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped black olive
- 1/2 cup shaved marmesan
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped parsley for garnish, optional
- Juice of medium lemon
- 2-3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. honey dijon mustard regular dijon mustard would work too
- Splash of honey optional
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
Top flatbread with pesto and mozzarella slices. Bake for 5-7 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
Meanwhile, make the salad by adding the lettuce to the bottom of a big salad bowl and top with remaining ingredients.
In a small mason jar or salad shaker, add all of the salad dressing ingredients. Shake vigorously until all of the ingredients are well -combined. When ready to serve the salad, pour desired dressing over top and toss.
Serve salad with pizza. Enjoy!