Healthy ground beef tacos filled with perfectly seasoned ground beef, crunchy veggies, a dollop of cool, tangy Greek yogurt, loads of cheddar cheese, spicy jalapeños all finished with a squeeze of fresh lime. You would never guess these flavorful tacos are also nutritious: I’m sharing my tips on how to make simple swaps to lighten up this weeknight staple!
healthy ground beef tacos
I loved ground beef tacos growing up as a child. I looked forward to taco night every week. My mom went the typical route. She used the store bought taco seasoning packets, ground beef, white flour tortillas or hard corn tortilla shells, and all the toppings, like sour cream, cheese, and salsa. Us picky kids loved it because it allowed us to build our own and avoid any unwanted ingredients (mainly veggies). My mom loved it because it took less than 15 minutes to make and pleased all of us.
Ground beef tacos were a popular 90s staple and for good reason: it was an easy, crowd pleasing dish. But also typical of that era it mostly used store bought, and unfortunately, overly processed ingredients.
I decided to elevate this iconic dish and make it healthier by using only wholesome, real ingredients. I’ll show you how to make healthy ground beef tacos with just a few simple swaps. Don’t worry! It’s possible to make healthy ground beef tacos without sacrificing flavors. In fact, I think it’s even better than the version I ate growing up as a child.
homemade healthy taco seasoning
The first step to make these tacos healthier is making your own taco seasoning. Read the back of a taco seasoning packet and you will realize why you should avoid them. Spices are not the main ingredients. Instead, it’s mostly preservatives and other unwanted additives. Yuck!
Here I show you how to make your own healthy taco seasoning. It’s simple and uses ingredients likely already in your spice collection. The result is a bold, delicious spice mixture that livens up taco night without any unhealthy ingredients!
tips to creating a healthy ground beef taco
Here are a few other simple swaps to lighten up this classic dish:
- Use a leaner ground beef. It contains less fat and grease but is just as flavorful with the aid of the bold spice mixture.
- Add moisture to the meat. Since lean ground beef contains less fat, it needs more moisture to prevent it from drying out. I use chicken broth and tomato paste to make the tacos juicy and flavorful!
- Use whole wheat or gluten-free tortillas. I always carefully read the ingredient list for tortillas to ensure it’s not chalked full of preservative but made mainly with real ingredients.
- Use Greek yogurt. It tastes just like sour cream but packed full of protein and healthy fats.
- Use nutritious veggies. I used a superfood slaw mix with red cabbage, kale, and carrots in lieu of iceberg lettuce. These nutritious veggies still provide that refreshing, crunch necessary in a great taco.
how to make the ground beef
The star of this dish is the perfectly seasoned ground beef. Follow these simple steps to achieve delicious, flavor-packed, and juicy ground beef:
- Make the taco seasoning mixture, recipe HERE.
- Chop up half an onion.
- Heat a large skillet with olive oil.
- Add the onion and a heavy pinch of salt and cook until translucent.
- Next, add the ground beef, break into chunks, and cook until starts to brown on the outside and no longer pink in the middle.
- Add the tomatoes paste and cook until it turns a rusty red color and coats the meat.
- Add the taco seasoning and cook until the spices are fragrant and coat the meat.
- Finally, add chicken broth and cook until it’s reduced and makes the meat juicy.
- Taste the meat and season more if desired.
how to build your tacos
First, heat the tortillas in a hot pan or over an open burner to provide char and extra flavor.
Next, fill the tortillas with a gernous portion of the ground beef.
Finally, add your toppings. My recommended fixings are Greek yogurt, superfood veggies slaw (or any veggies you desire), cheese, jalapeños, and cilantro. You can put all the extra fixings out and let each person build their own tacos. Just like how I grew up a a child, this meal still allows you to choose you own adventure and build your taco however you desire!
These healthy ground beef tacos taste just like the kind I grew up loving but made only with nutritious wholesome ingredients. It’s also a quick and easy weeknight meal. It’s something you can feel good about serving your family every week!
If you make this healthy ground beef tacos, please leave a comment below. I absolutely love to hear from you guys and your thoughts on my recipes. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or pin it on pinterest, cuz sharing is caring!
Healthy Ground Beef Tacos
A healthy, easy version of a classic weeknight staple.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Half a white onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons homemade healthy taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons tomato pasta
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 8-10 whole wheat or gluten-free tortillas
- 2 cups superfood slaw mix
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 lime cut into wedges
Make the seasoning mixture, recipe HERE.
Chop up half an onion.
Heat a large skillet with olive oil.
Add the onion and a heavy pinch of salt and cook until translucent.
Next, add the ground beef, break into chunks, and cook until starts to brown on the outside and no longer pink in the middle.
Add the tomatoes paste and cook until it turns a rusty red color and coats the meat.
Finally, add the taco seasoning and cook until fragrant and coats the beat. Add chicken broth and mix so the meat is flavorful and juicy.
Taste the meat and seasoning more if desired.
Heat the tortillas in a hot pan or over an open burner to provide char and extra flavor.
Next, fill the tortillas with a generous portion of the ground beef.
Finally, add your toppings. Squeeze with a wedge of fresh lime.
Serve and enjoy!